Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

There's something so final about finishing something.

After months of practice, rehearsals, and preparation, our choir preformed the before-mentioned Christmas Cantata.

And it was a success.

Maybe not a complete success, like absolute perfection, due to some technical difficulties, but all things considered, it was quite nice. As for my solo...well, it was, to put it simply,


INCREDIBLY FANTASTICALLY AMAZINGLY UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ahem. Or so I've been told. By numerous people. Like, a lot of people. Tons. Anyhoo, after the two performances, we had some dinner with my friend Jessica at a local Mexican restaurant. And right now I'm watching the Tye Tribbett 'Stand Out' concert DVD. Oh, and if I'm not allowed to say that because of some copyright thing, I'm totally sorry. Please don't sue me.

Okay, yeah so this may not be as philosophical and literary as I said it would be, but honestly, compared to the highlighter-and-fingerless-gloves analysis that was my last post, this is like Plato. So what exactly should I make the point of this post? I suppose I could head towards cheesyville and talk about what I've learned through this latest Cantata experience. Well, that sounds like fun, so here it is:

The Elite List of Things Learned by the Author Through the Act of Singing a Solo in a Christmas Cantata and Singing in a Christmas Cantata in General and Other Such Things:

  • Well, I learned to stand up straight and sing through my diaphragm. Which totally requires more effort but also totally works better.
  • Not to a wear a turtleneck when standing closely together under hot lights in a building full of people. And especially not to wear a sweater over the said turtleneck.
  • That in cantata's and in life, there will be a times when you are recruited to do something, and other times where you recruit someone to do something. But usually more in cantata's then in life will you be recruited to assist a little drummer boy in putting on his costume.
  • To know you're part so well that you can do it calmly even in the midst of chaos.
  • You never know who may be in the audience who could get you a record deal. ;)
  • Always smile. Even though you may not know it, someone is probably watching you.
  • Be strong and courageous. Speak positive things into existence.
  • Don't scratch your nose when you're being videotaped.
  • Don't scratch your nose during you're solo.
  • Don't scratch your nose when you think people aren't looking, because someone totally is.
  • Don't scratch your nose. It just makes things easier.
  • Be proud of yourself when you do awesome.
  • Do awesome.

Well, Tye Tribbett is over and it's 11:11. Make a wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment