Tuesday, January 19, 2010

On the Subject of Abnormal Normality

WARNING: The following post you are about to read may be surprisingly different from previous ones. With this knowledge, you may proceed to read this post. You have been warned.

There are numerous reasons why this post shall be different. Reason Number 1 would be that, considering the number of my followers consists of about 4, all being closely related to me, I should have free rein with my writing regardless of whether or not the topic is popular and/or politically correct. (Strike terror in your heart?) I should be able to state my opinions bluntly, without fear of some random person reading it and being offended.

Because honestly, what are they going to do?

Sign up to follow me, write a nasty comment and then not follow me anymore? Well, my friend, comments can be easily taken care of by that convenient little 'DELETE' button, which I have the power to control. (Moooowwaaahhahhhaha!!!) And secondly, I say without fear that the majority of people in the world are much too lazy to do such a thing. Should someone actually perform the above-mentioned scenario, I would most likely congratulate them on their achievement of overcoming the general slothfulness that so often ensnares the hearts of the people on this Earth.

Or else I would simply chuckle, press the before-mentioned legendary 'DELETE' button, and go on with my life and my writing.

Perhaps you are wondering what caused this sudden, wild, rebellion that is so uncharacteristic of your quiet and polite Author? Well, the answer to that could be many things. In fact, I had planned to start this little 'rebellion' as I imagined that you might call it; weeks ago. But the main reason I chose this early morning is that at present I am quite angry, which in my mind is the only state of mind one can have when starting a rebellion. Of course, mine is righteous anger, which I'm sure is a quite different emotion then those who rebelled before me.

But I shall not say what is the cause of my anger, but only go on the explain Reason Number 2 of this change.

You see, any normal, average, fearful and quiet person can write details of their normal, average, fearful and quiet life. But everyone else has a life just as normal. So what's the fun of reading about a normal life, when it is no different from your own? But there are some distinctly abnormal, unique, courageous, and magnificently noticeable people out there. And likewise, because of their singular personalities, the lives they lead are equally abnormal, unique, courageous, and noticeable. I can see you thinking, 'Man, I wish I could be one of those people. I wish my life were like that. But I'm just average, like everybody else'.

So now I am going to contradict myself. You see, there are very few of those unique and noticeable people in this world. But everyone is unique and noticeable. Confused? Well, let me explain. We are taught that normality is something to strive for. That if you don't want to be looked at funny or talked about too much, you should be normal, just like everyone else. But let's see the very first definition of 'normal':

nor⋅mal



1. Conforming to the standard or common type; usual, not abnormal, regular, natural.

Do you see that? Conforming to the standard! To 'conform' means 'to act in accord with the prevailing standards' or, 'to be or become similar in form, nature, or character.'

What I'm trying to say is that everyone is unique, or abnormal. But then the world tells them, "You have to be normal, or people will look at you funny, and talk about you behind your back". So they conform to the standard and become like everyone else.

But tell me, when did being abnormal become a bad thing? Why is it an insult to have someone say, "Oh, she's not normal."? If someone said that to me, I would say "Thank you! You're right, I'm abnormal." Because if being normal is conforming to the standard, being abnormal would be setting the standard. Am I right? What's wrong with that? And yes, if you're abnormal, people will look at you funny and talk about you behind your back. But in my experience, they look at you funny because they're trying to figure out what makes you different. What you have that they don't. And when they talk about you behind your back they're saying, "What is it about her that makes her stand out?"

It just seems so funny to me and yet so sad that people don't want to be abnormal, but then, living they're normal lives, they wish that they could have an interesting, adventurous life. But adventurous lives are for adventurous people. And adventurous people are the ones who escape what's normal.

Now I want you to notice something I wrote up there. One of the definitions of 'conform' is 'to act in accord with the prevailing standards' Do you see that? Prevailing standards. In this world, the standards are prevailing. The standards are becoming dominant, the standards exist everywhere, the standards are becoming superior, and the standards appear to be the most important.
But whose standards are those, God’s or the worlds? If the prevailing standards are the standards of the world, then as far as I'm concerned, the standards can go jump in a lake.

Inside everyone there is a unique, abnormal, noticeable heart. But the world will try to cover it up with standards and fear. Fear is always at the core of everything. If you can overcome fear, you can overcome the world.

There are those few who take the step, receiving that stamp of abnormality for all to see. But they are the ones who, straying from the standard path, find the most beautiful one. And though that path has many obstacles and setbacks, we realize that every obstacle we can overcome and every setback makes us stronger. The standard path is wide and easy, and the one we choose to take is narrow and difficult. But without difficulty there is no change, and without change, there is no growth.

So many people are stuck in the standard, with fear barring them in. Us abnormal ones have a job, breaking down the barriers that hold them back, helping them escape. In doing this, the world may think that we are the villains, breaking its fugitives out of jail, and daring them to think for themselves. But the real villain is anyone or anything that keeps someone from reaching their full potential, abnormal as it may be.

Those who keep people locked in the standard are operating in fear. Fear that, should they're prisoners escape; they might do bigger and better things then them.

And so now I say to you, overcome the fear. Dare to go down the narrow path. Escape the ordinary. Become abnormal. Deny the standard. Be yourself. Be free.

Romans 12:2
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (NIV)

1 Peter 2:9
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light; (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment