Monday, May 4, 2009

First Post (How Original)

So, this is my first blog post. I am in awe of myself for actually creating something online. But if you are some random person viewing this blog, please know that it will not contain me just saying to myself, "Oh my gosh, I just changed the template! Yay me!"

In the future, when I figure all this out, I will most likely include:


  • Movie reviews

  • Book reviews

  • And just the retellings of all my adventures and escapades here on the farm.

Well, it's not really a farm per se, just some acreage in the country with a farm-like atmosphere created by various livestock as well as barns, beehives, et cetera. However, the dictionary definition of a farm is:


farm [faarm]
n (plural farms)
1.
agricultural land and buildings: an area of land where crops are grown or animals are reared for commercial purposes, together with appropriate buildings
2.
place producing particular animals or crops: an area of land or water where particular animals, birds, fish, or crops are raised for commercial purposes (usually used in combination)
a trout farm...


So you could call it a farm. But that's another thing you should know: I give dictionary definitions... a lot. I love the dictionary. I consider myself a Bluestocking, which you probably guessed considering the title of my blog is 'Life of a Bluestocking', unless you thought I was referring to someone else. Which would have been silly. And considering you are reading this blog, obviously with some intrest, you are most likely a bluestocking yourself, or else I know you personally and you're reading it because I told you to. However, if you do not know what a bluestocking is, let me pull out another dictionary definition for you:


blue·stock·ing [bl stòking](plural blue·stock·ings)
n
a term for a woman who has intellectual, scholarly, or literary interests


At the literary gatherings held at the houses of fashionable mid-18th century hostesses, it became the custom to wear casual rather than formal dress. In the case of gentlemen's stockings, this meant gray worsted (called "blue" at that time) rather than black silk. This lack of decorum was disapproved of in some quarters, and one Admiral Boscowan dubbed the participants the "Blue Stocking Society." Women who attended the gatherings thus became known as "Blue Stocking Ladies" (even though it was men who had worn the stockings).


Interesting, isn't it? But, I better wrap this up, I need to go do dishes. I promise to write more later! So... I guess that's it!

1 comment:

  1. A fabulous job! I love your writing style and look forward to all your posts.

    Love,
    Mummsy

    ReplyDelete